*This has been edited from the original post.
I decided to come back and re-write this. Not because my feelings have changed, but I feel that my points were lost with the emotions that I had felt while writing the first version and I’d left some things out.
There are a few things that I’d like to highlight:
1. Looting, rioting, violence and larceny are not going to solve anything. These actions are only going to stoke the opposition. Let your voices be heard peacefully. It seems that there was a big (positive) change from the violence that ensued Monday night to the (mostly) peaceful ones from last night across the nation. Do not silence your voices with violence.
2. Although Darren Wilson was not indicted, his life will never be “normal.” He has had threats to himself and his family. He will probably never feel safe. The legal system may not be punishing him with prison time, but his life is forever changed. He won’t be able to go the store like a normal person. I definitely do not condone the treats, I’m just stating that it’s not like he is going back to his job and living a normal life.
3. The racist & ignorant comments from some of the people that support the decision are disgusting. This is what is wrong with society. I pray that our future generations become more tolerant and that this stops.
4. We all need to take a step back and try to take something from all of this. Nothing will ever bring Michael Brown back, but hopefully something positive – some change will happen.
5. Michael Brown was not completely innocent as many have implied that I thought he had done nothing wrong. I’ve seen the video from him in the convenience store and I’ve seen the marks on Officer Wilson. Do I think he should be dead? No, not at all.
6. We need to come together as a nation and stop being so divided. With division comes us retracting. Let’s all move forward.
7. Vote. Be the change that you want. Write to your Representatives, your President, get involved in your community. Show your children a positive example, don’t just tell them. Peacefully protest. Do things to get your voice heard.
8. Stop with the stereotypes. All of them.
That is all.