Ive been waiting to figure out how to put into words, the experience of my half-marathon.

There aren’t really words to describe it to be honest.

As most of you know, I ran this in honor of my friend Erin and my grandmother, both who have struggled recently with lymphoma.  Both had their lymphoma come back around the same time this spring and I knew that I had to do “something.”

It’s a helpless feeling to watch your loved ones go thru this, and there was really little that I could do to “help” them.  I figured that raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was the best way I could show my support.  Thanks to so many wonderful friends and family members, I was able to raise $3,550 for this wonderful organization.  I know that this will help fund much needed research and patient care.  I am so grateful for the support that I was given.

When I started this journey and I signed up, I was terrified.  I had no idea how I was going to run 13.1 miles and I definitely didn’t know how I was going to raise the fundraising minimum of $1,900 to be a part of Team in Training.

Within the first few weeks, the donations had poured in and I had easily reached the minimum amount (a huge relief, because if you don’t raise the money, you have to pay it yourself).  I was overwhelmed.

Training started.  Slowly but surely, the miles built up.

October came, and my training got much harder as I took on a project in NYC which required me to travel 4 days a week for work, but I knew there was no way I was going to let this stop me.

On November 8, the day after my 27th birthday, I started running in the Rock & Roll Half Marathon in beautiful Savannah, Georgia with my friend Jessica.  Jes and I stayed together for the first 4 miles and split up.  At that time, I knew it was all up to me.  Mind over matter.  To be honest, the first 10 miles weren’t too bad.  The crowd cheering us on and the funny posters definitely eased the pain.  But a little after passing the 10 mile mark my right hip started pulsing with an excruciating pain, but I wasn’t going to let this stop me (although it did slow me down a little).

The last 3 miles were very painful, but so minimal compared to the pain that cancer patients go through.

A little over 2 and a half hours, I crossed the finish line, exhausted.

I heard my name in the distance.


I looked to my right and saw two of my best friends standing at the finish line waiting for me who had drove down from Athens to surprise me.

I lost it.

The emotions of finishing on top of that surprise were more than I could hold in.

I did it, I accomplished a lifetime goal and cannot wait to do another one.  They say that long distance races are addicting and I completely believe that!

I had the best birthday weekend ever and will attempt to do the full marathon next year, which falls on my 28th birthday.

Thank you to everyone for your love and support.  I couldn’t have done this without all of you!!!  I am forever grateful for this experience.


Give me some feedback

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s